Planning & Zoning
Permits are required for any new construction work or demolition activities. Applications can be printed online and submitted to city hall.
In addition, all contractors – including subcontractors – that work within the city must carry a license. Licenses are issued annually, and are valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 of each year.
The City of Lockport Planning Board meets on the first Monday of each month at 5 p.m. Requests for consideration at board meetings must be submitted 10 days prior to the meeting (with exceptions for holidays).
Zoning Board of Appeals
The Zoning Board of Appeals meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. Five appeals are heard each month, and requests must be submitted to the Building Inspection Department 15 days prior to the meeting date.
Niagara County Planning
Variance or planning change requests must go through the Niagara County Planning Board for review if the property is located with 500 feet of the boundary of a:
• City, town or village
• State or county land with a public building
• Existing or proposed park or recreation area
• Existing or proposed state or county parkway, road or highway, or a county-owned drainage channel
• Farm operated located in an agricultural district (except for area variances)
Submissions require a fee, which must be paid when submitted.
The contractor’s license application process includes:
• Application form
• Proof of Insurance ($300,000 liability minimum, Workman’s Comp. – C105.2 form or State Insurance Fund, DB120 or a waiver from the Workman’s Compensation Board)
Licenses are valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31 annually, and are not prorated.
Master Plumber Test
There is a fee to take the test. Please contact us for more information.