Assessment guidelines are set by the New York State Office of Real Property Services, state rules and regulations and the courts and managed locally by the city assessor.
The City of Lockport Assessment Department is responsible for:
- Locating taxable real property and collecting inventory data
- Notifying property owners where and when data is available
- Determining ownership of property and maintaining ownership records
- Valuing real property
- Processing authorized exemptions
- Filing assessment rolls (tentative and final)
- Preparing and submitting annual reports to the state Office of Real Property Services
For more information on the job of the assessor, visit The Job Of The Assessor – a NYS Publication – at http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/orpts/assessjo.pdf.
Who to contact with questions
- The assessor continually communicates with the public and answers questions and concerns raised by taxpayers. Anyone can examine the assessment roll and property records at any time.
- It is up to individual property owners to monitor their own assessment. If taxpayers have questions about their assessment, they should contact the assessor before the tentative roll is filed (June 1). In an informal setting, the assessor can explain how the assessment was determined and the rationale behind it.
- If after speaking to the assessor, you still feel you are overassessed, the publication How to File For a Review of Your Assessment may assist you. It describes how to prepare and file a complaint with the Board of Assessment Review and indicates the time of year it can be done.
For close to 10 years, a property owner in Staten Island failed to occupy or properly maintain two Genesee Street houses, and it shows. But the dilapidated homes may soon have a new lease on life. The City of Lockport prevailed on Wednesday in a lawsuit it had filed...read more
The City of Lockport officially adopted a complete streets policy recognizing that there are a growing percentage of residents that want livable communities where they can commute to work, socialize and recreate by foot and bicycle. “This policy will ensure that every...read more
Click here to see a copy of our 2018 Proposed Budget. A Public Hearing will be held to discuss on Wednesday, 11/8/2017 at 5pm.read more
Lockport Municipal Building
One Locks Plaza
Lockport, New York 14094